procedure for Product Development Manager @ Acumen Resources Development (Pty) Ltd. Below
Product Development Manager with extensive Packaging, Quality, Innovation and New Production Development experience required.
To manage New Product and Business Growth Strategy, aligned to the brand objectives, by contributing innovative product ideas and managing the development process from concept to launch. Working with owned production units and approved contract manufacturers, be responsible for evaluating the capacity, capability, level of technology and equipment required to produce best in class products and Quality and Food Safety.
Accountable for ensuring effective product safety and product quality systems and controls are put in place and managed locally. Ensuring that systems are in place for all products placed on the market and are fully compliant to customer, regulatory, industry, business unit company specifications. Drive the implementation of GMP and HACCP certification in a coordinated manner in all facilities.
Duties & Responsibilities
Innovation Process And Management
• Manage the New Product Development team in the thorough and timeous completion of projects aligned to the stage-gate process (from sample phase, factory trials, through to evaluation at customers where required) Use existing systems or develop new systems for evaluating new product/packaging concept ideas and execution of product and packaging development processes.
• Search markets for new product ideas and innovative concepts of product/packaging to compliment the current product offering.
• Search opportunities to improve existing products to make them more cost effective or more affordable to shoppers and consumers.
• Product and packaging development either in house, at suppliers, with consultants or in country to launch new ideas and innovation as quickly as possible into market.
• Ensure the completion of New Product Development administration (Specifications, loading of recipes into ERP system, etc.)
Innovation Performance Improvement
• Measured performance management to be the center of the innovation function, whilst maintaining a creative and innovative drive.
• Measurement of number of ideas vs. number of launches to increase year on year.
• Measurement of average speed to market per project must increase year on year.
• Concept actual launch volumes and profitability to be measured post launch vs projected.
• Every concept launch (success or failure) to have a post launch evaluation
Quality, Food Safety, Regulatory and EHS
• Analyze existing procedures and recommend best practice
• Drive the roll of GMP and Food Safety certification on all facilities.
• Perform external audits of non-certified facilities based on internal QFSR and EHS requirements.
• Help with system of non-conformance root cause analysis at facilities.
• Trend and analysis non-conformities and provide solutions/recommendations thereto
• Document update and development of QFSR and EHS policies.
• External audits of co-packers and critical suppliers
• Relevant training material development and train-the-trainer
• Regulatory compliance of plants to local and Codex standards
• Submission and monitoring of samples to external lab and internal evaluation of products.
Reporting And Administration
• Develop and standardise recipe management across categories
• Develop quality and food safety specifications for all products.
• Develop and roll out laboratory requirements at plant level.
• Coordination of plant performance management and KPI information.
• Detailed quality and food safety report coordination by plant
• Build and manage the relationship with the supplier, co-packer, internal stakeholders, and destination customer to ensure a full understanding of the Quality, Food Safety and EHS requirements.
• Audit and approve any new suppliers of goods and services to supply and satisfy the growing demands of the group.
Desired Experience & Qualification
Key Qualifications & Requirements
• Minimum of BSc in Food Science / Microbiology or BTech Food Technology Diploma
• 5-7 years relevant experience in an FMCG manufacturing and quality environment
• Experience in branded food and beverage industry in African markets would be essential
• Experience in home & personal care and/or animal nutrition/pet care industry in African markets would be advantageous
• Proven ability to develop quality and food safety execution in the African market
• Must be willing to travel locally and internationally and have a valid passport with no travel restrictions
• Propensity and aptitude for solid relationship building and communication
• Systematic in design and execution of tasks
• Problem solving and basic project management knowledge
• Well-developed verbal and written communication skills – ability to interact confidently with both suppliers and customers.
• Work well within a multi-geography and multifunctional team environment
Solving Problems and Getting Results
• Accept responsibility and tenacity for resolving a problem to its final conclusion
• Assist in the achievement and the on-going improvement of business results
• Show dissatisfaction with poor performance and drive processes to achieve business goals
• Strive to achieve agreed deadlines and standards, especially when the going gets tough or the anticipated situation changes
• Prepare proposals for Executive evaluation in line with broader business strategies
• Apply a systematic problem-solving approach to identify causes, explore alternatives and recommend the best course of action to resolve the problem now and into the future
• Highly competent scientific acumen
• Good knowledge of quality and food safety management
• Appreciation for co-packer and supplier contracts and management.
• Proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook and MS PowerPoint
• Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking
• Knowledge and interest in African and International markets
• Knowledge of supplier and co-manufacturer management.
• Analytical skills
• Problem solving skills
• Entrepreneurial skills
• All underpinned with holistic business acumen